Dr. Max Hyperbaric Therapy Center in Ft. Lauderdale Florida
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) involves breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized environment. In a hyperbaric oxygen therapy chamber, the air pressure is increased 2 to 3 times higher than normal air pressure. Under these conditions, your lungs can gather much more oxygen than would be possible breathing pure oxygen at normal air pressure. This extra oxygen helps fight bacteria. It also triggers the release of substances called growth factors and stem cells, which promote healing.
Clinical reports have found HBOT an excellent adjunctive therapy for a variety of conditions, including severe burns, wounds, osteomyelitis, fungal and bacterial infections, especially those involving anaerobic organisms, carbon-monoxide poisoning and decompression syndrome (the “bends”).
Here at Hair by Dr. Max, Restoration Center, we highly encourage the use of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for our patients who have just had a hair transplant procedure. Immediately having a HBOT session post-transplant has been proven to promote graft healing and lessen any chances of infection.
How does it work?
- Medications: Some medications are not compatible with hyperbaric oxygen therapy (Adriamycin, Bleomycin, and Sulfamylon). The nurse/technician will need to know all drugs you are currently taking. Each drug will be considered individually in relation to HBO therapy, and if changes are necessary in your medication schedule, your physician will be consulted.
- Cold and Other Illnesses: It is important that you notify us if you have symptoms of a cold or the flu – fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, fever blisters, cold sores, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and general ache all over feelings. These types of symptoms are not helped by oxygen, so the HBO treatments may be postponed until your symptoms have subsided and the HBO physician to restart treatments has cleared you.
- Smoking: Nicotine causes small blood vessels to contract, causing decreased circulation and oxygenation. Smokers also have higher carbon monoxide levels than non-smokers and so do not receive the full benefit of oxygen therapy.
- Cosmetics: Any makeup, hair spray, perfume, deodorant or shaving lotion: containing a petroleum or alcohol base may not be used prior to a treatment.
- Clothing: You will be provided with 100% cotton gowns for your treatment. No other articles of clothing are to be worn into the chamber. Watches, rings and other jewelry, hard and soft contact lenses and other prosthetic devices will need to come off before the treatment. It is important that body cleanliness be maintained during the course of treatment. Glasses may be worn.
WHY CHOOSE HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY?
- Promotes wound-healing by bringing oxygen-rich plasma to tissue starved for oxygen.
- Prevents reperfusion injury
- Helps block the action of harmful bacteria and strengthens the body's immune system
- Increases the number of stem cells in circulation throughout the body
- HBOT encourages the formation of new collagen and new skin cells
- Allows oxygen to cross over into the brain, thus increasing the production and availability of neurotransmitters
- Eliminates areas of hypoxia by stimulating capillary growth
- Offers anti-inflammatory effects on the body, such as joint inflammation