Disclaimer: The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only and should not be used in place of medical advice. Always consult your physician before beginning any therapy program or treatment plan.
What is dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and how is it related to hair loss?
- DHT is a sex hormone, modified from testosterone.
- Excess levels of DHT can cause hair loss by limiting the blood supply to hair follicles.
- With restricted blood supply to the follicles, the hair growth cycle can become so shortened that new hairs are unable to be generated.
- DHT is not the only cause of hair loss. Nonetheless, genetic sensitivity to this hormone can make some people more susceptible to hair loss.
How can we lower DHT levels and prevent further hair loss?
- DHT blockers are drugs that block the formation of DHT in the body and be used as treatment for hair loss.
- These drugs contribute to regrowth of hair on the scalp.
- DHT blockers are found in hair loss medications.